I suggest you ...

Please get rid of the "you've been inactive for over an hour" .dialog

Please get rid of the "you've been inactive for over an hour" dialog. Who cares if I have! I don't tweet every minute of every hour 24 hours a day. I often just glance at Hootsuite on my laptop once in a while while I work to see if anything worthwhile has come up. I don't reply or post at least once an hour and shouldn't be reminded of it. This dialog is completely useless and extremely annoying!

58 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    pixelyzedpixelyzed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Omar OrtizOmar Ortiz shared a merged idea: Fix the session timeouts.  ·   · 
    Mike BehnkeMike Behnke shared a merged idea: allow an option to control when (and if) HootSuite "goes to sleep"  ·   · 
    Steve WeatherillSteve Weatherill shared a merged idea: Allow option for being kept logged in and awake  ·   · 
    Michael 'MC' CarterMichael 'MC' Carter shared a merged idea: Allow an option to prevent HootSuite from going to sleep  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: A "Do Not Fall Asleep" option so we can monitor multiple feeds even if not posting/responding.  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Chris from HootSuiteChris from HootSuite responded  · 

This dialogue box currently exists to preserve bandwidth. We’ll consider other alternatives for this function.

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TonyTony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am considering purchasing HootSuite to manage my department's new Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ accounts. After reading this thread I was disappointed to learn about this timeout limitation. Like many of you, I will be displaying HootSuite on a large TV screen for my team to view, so this is how I have managed to get around the timeout limitation (at least so far)... However, here's how I've gotten around this limitation...

1. Install and launch the Google Chrome browser.
        2. Go to the following URL to download and install the ChromeReload extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromereload/njoipeaphfnaplplihpbgndfojhdhmjo?hl=en
        3. Once installed, go to your HootSuite dashboard (using Google Chrome) and look for the little circle with the circular arrow at the top right of the browser.
        4. Click it and set it for some time interval (I use 30mins since HootSuite times out after an hour of inactivity).
        5. Viola! You should no longer see the dreaded sleeping owl!

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be needs to be removed. We have this up on our sales board and logging in to the PC every hour and moving the cursor is a pain in the behind. Please remove this.

• Lance BrownLance Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Travis from Hootsuite support just referred me to this thread in response to my request about this, along with this little prize:
        "While we have no plans at this time to disable the sleep function, I'll bring this suggestion up to our developers for further review."

Keep in mind this is after he said "this suggestion has been brought up to us before and is under review in our feedback forum" and linked to this 3-year old request. So don't worry guys--they have completely disregarded this issue up until today, but Travis is going to bring it up to the developers for further review! So it should only be a couple more years of being ignored before nothing new happens on this. You're welcome. ;-)

• LeicaLeica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate that dialog box. I don't care if you don't download any tweets just have enough trouble with RSI to waste on clicking something so unnecessary.

• Mike BehnkeMike Behnke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will be looking for a different app if this feature does not get implemented. As nice as the other features are, they do absolutely no good if I have to specifically go to the tab once per hour to "wake it up".

• Erwin BikErwin Bik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Hootsuite for monitoring our twitter account, it runs on a large screen in our office for anyone to see, but the sleeping owl spoils it. It has been under review now for a year and a half. There should be an answer/opinion formed now by hootsuite!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please
        Get rid of it
        We have a large screen on view to clients so we have to keep the owl awake :(

• PigeonPigeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over a year since that reply and still it's just the same :(

I've only been using Hootsuite for a few days, because Seesmic's login is currently broken so I can't use that, and already this thing is driving me to google for solutions as to how to turn it off.

The twitter account I'm using Hootsuite with I use as a news feed, not for conversation; I use it to monitor news from other people, and to post one or two items a day myself. I often do not look at it for several hours at a stretch - for example when I go to bed.

When I return I want to be able to scroll back through my feed and scan for useful news that has been posted during my absence. With Seesmic this was straightforward since it had remained active the whole time and had already loaded the timeline. With Hootsuite there is a huge gap where it shut down. To fill this gap requires making it fetch several hours' worth of tweets - and it won't even fetch them all in one go, it does it a page at a time, which makes it slow as tar and a huge pain.

If bandwidth preservation is such a concern then note that it is not necessary to maintain full update frequency during periods of inactivity. It would be quite sufficient to have it update only once every hour or half-hour, as long as it pulls in all the tweets since the last update and not just the first n tweets. That would be perfectly adequate to avoid the PITA of returning after a period of absence to find the timeline has a huge gap in it which takes forever to fill up.

• ShackShack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree. I've been trying to figure out how to 'turn off this function' for the past hour.
        Unlike most, when the inactive thing comes on, I have to log off and then back on again for aol to work properly.

• waterprise2waterprise2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I TOTALLY agree with the comment above. It is STUPID and unnecessary. It just adds ONE MORE click/wait to using the app. No other Twitter clients do this. This "feature" causes me to use the app LESS.

• Irish_TomIrish_Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, totally pointless and like McDavid, it takes a lot less than an hour of inactivity before it pops up.

• McDavid1McDavid1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get the dialog pop-up when I've only been inactive for a couple of minutes, not for an hour or more. It is incredibly intrusive and unnecessary.

Feedback and Knowledge Base