I suggest you ...

Reduce the price of adding a vanity URL

$49.00 is still too much for this service, especially when it won’t even work with the Hootlet bookmark.

64 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael HyattMichael Hyatt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SandiSandi shared a merged idea: Allow for FREE usage Vanity URLs via Bit.ly or Ow.ly if on Pro Account.  ·   · 

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael GassMichael Gass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Michael Hyatt. There's no way that I'm going to pay $49 a month for this service. It isn't worth it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

$49 a month is incredibly expensive, especially for small business like myself. $10-15 a month, or a $100 annual price would be more budget friendly for all, big and small orgs alike.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I couldn't believe the vanity URL was $49.99/MONTH either. This should be a one-time fee. It's just not smart.

Obviously, Hootsuite is counting on higher margins with less volume, but I do not feel the current price maximizes revenues. The margins may be less at $49.99 for a one-time fee but the volumes would be much higher, which I suspect would contribute to an overall increase in revenue. You may want to conduct some market research on it but think about all the small and medium-sized businesses and individuals you are losing on this pricing strategy.

• Brian MahoneyBrian Mahoney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with all of these comments. It would be one thing if HootSuite charged $49/year instead of $49/month — that's crazy. This overpricing behavior has our firm looking for alternatives to HootSuite.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a recurring theme every time I read anything about Hootsuite: their petty refusal to allow bit.ly integration, and to extort everyone into ow.ly. It's based upon a fictional belief that the shortener domain itself (when visited without an extension) can drive traffic to the site for winning new paid Hootsuite customers. Also, again, the stubbornness is probably just the result of a petty dispute, internally and/or externally.

It's so obvious by now that Hootsuite/Alan Blair Beaton just need to suck it up and concede the thing that literally every single discussion about Hootsuite basically boils down to, without any exceptions: stop imposing ow.ly. $50 per month as an additional charge, merely to stop that, is basically a big F-you to the majority of your customer base.

The only reason I came here, investigating options, is that TweetDeck finally murdered its own business (or to be specific, Twitter who acquired TweetDeck had a nefarious long-term objective to kill off Facebook integration as of May 5). HootSuite has a brief window of opportunity to inherit all those TweetDeck customers if they offer the thing that kept us loyal to TweetDeck: not having to use ow.ly, and not having to pay an additional $50 per month to fund HootSuite's petty refusal to allow custom shorteners. Don't be stupid! Grab the money while it's hot.

• Jay GoluguriJay Goluguri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is certainly the most ridiculous price for a single feature! I have encounter especially when services like bit.ly enable a vanity URL for FREE!

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do a simple search on this issue Web-wide and you'll find a torrent of dislike, criticism, and bruising from this out-of-touch price gouging. Simple fact: this function is 100% free at your biggest (and better) competitor, TweetDeck via bit.ly. I rather like Hootsuite but the price gouging on your proprietary vanity shortener is the SOLE reason I refuse to switch. You are losing numerous customers because of this issue.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you started blocking bit.ly URLs completely...

• cankoklucankoklu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had 1.000 votes, I'd spend it all on this..

There are many many services out there that provide this functionality for far less money..

Just because of this, I end up having to shorten URLs on bit.ly then paste to Hootsuite to post..

Ridiculous..

• BobbyBobby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

$49 is redic. I'm a small-time video blogger. I rely on Hootsuite to help me send message out to all of my followers via social media. I especially rely on word of mouth marketing and a vanity URL is one way that I can get my name spread around the web when subscribers share my links.

I'm more than happy to pay $49/year on top of the $5.99/month for the Pro service. But I think $49/month is highway robbery.

I really want to support HootSuite (in fact, I tell all my friends to sign up), but this subscription fee just makes me cringe. There's gotta be a better price to this service.

• StephanieStephanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you'd let us use our existing bit.ly vanity links, that would certainly add value.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tweetdeck does it for free. Since Twitter just bought them, you might want to consider the vanity URL thing being free or a lot cheaper man.

• StephanieStephanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially when I already have a vanity URL with bit.ly that is FREE. C'mon. this should be part of the PRO upgrade price.

• John ColemanJohn Coleman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree $49.99 a month is way too much and puts it out of reach of the average small business! Please reduce the price or offer for free like bit.ly pro and tweetdeck do.

• The ChemicsThe Chemics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I would like to use this feature too. However, $49.00 a month is way too expensive for this feature.

I think $49.00 a year is a more realistic price.

I love HootSuite and this is a feature I really want to use but at the current price it's too expensive.

Bit.ly pro and TweetDeck offer vanity URLs for FREE. I want to support HootSuite as I think its' a brilliant product, but $49.99 a month for vanity URL whilst your competitors offer it for free makes no business sense.

I will have no choice but to cancel my pro account and move to TweetDeck who offer the vanity URL free of charge.

• AJAJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I know you guys won't integrate bit.ly support because you offer a competing product but they offer bit.ly pro for free and you guys are charging $50 a month? That's just a no-brainer to me. I use the bit.ly bookmarklet, generate the tweet text, and then schedule that tweet in Hootsuite with copy/paste. Unless your vanity URL pricing comes down, people will have to continue to do this, despite wanting to support you and your great product.

Feedback and Knowledge Base