I suggest you ...

Change/Allow Customization of the Left HootSuite Menu Bar

The new menu bar down the left side is a good idea in theory, but the auto expand on mouse over seems to be distracting when my mouse passes over.

78 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    asaragaasaraga shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    BevBev shared a merged idea: Suggest that yo make the scroll bars for each stream slightly bigger and get rid of your tool bar from the left hand side.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: stop the sidebar from popping up so frequently  ·   · 
    Nate McIntyreNate McIntyre shared a merged idea: Feature: Make it so the left menu doesn't expand on mouse hover  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: The expanding bar on the left extends over and covers several buttons, including the refresh button. Why not move these buttons to the bar?  ·   · 
    xiaolai lixiaolai li shared a merged idea: The new toolbar on the left is useless and awkward. Please remove  ·   · 
    DamienWiseDamienWise shared a merged idea: Hide the new sidebar icons like you used to, or let me dock them horizontally along the top.  ·   · 
    under review  ·  TravisAdminTravis (Admin, HootSuite) responded  · 

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out to us!

While we do not have any current plans on our roadmap to change the left HootSuite menu bar at this time, we are currently investigating ideas to change UI features for future updates to the HootSuite web dashboard.

Thank you graciously for all of the suggestions, and thank you for using HootSuite!
    Travis | Customer Support – Technical Lead | @HootSuite_Help

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely a problem and it is pushing me to seek out the competition. You really should be listening.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. What's the point of minimizing to show icons only when it just expands with practically every mouse movement? It's a ridiculously poor implementation. Although I still have a pro subscription for the auto schedule features, I now rarely use the main UI because it's so damn annoying. I've now had to resort to using Tweetdeck as my main feed viewer which is hardly the point of subscribing to a 'Pro' service!!!!

• Joshua NessJoshua Ness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree with the comments below. The auto pop-out feature is EXTREMELY annoying and is enough to make me switch from my Pro account to another provider if this isn't fixed. Please update the left menu bar to dock by default and expand on command. Thanks.

• MichelleMichelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This alone is the one reason I'm thinking of dumping Hootsuite altogether. It flies out ALL. THE. TIME. I could not agree more with what Danielle said below. Get rid of it. It's unnecessary and clutters what is otherwise a good product.

• danielledanielle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem and it's really frustrating. The menu stays open until I mouse back into hootsuite, get the menu to minimize back to the left, and mouse out in just the right way to keep it from opening. Often I miss and it reopens. But I shouldn't have to waste time with that. It's an annoying feature and considering the non-essential nature of what's offered in the menu, it should never, by default, expand so easily and stay that way. I think you could even remove the mouse-over state. You want what's in the menu? Click on the icons that are always visible. The primary functionality and what people do in hootsuite lives in the streams. The menu is something I almost never need. And, considering I'm a very active user, I probably trigger that menu, which stays open until I close it just right, at least 100-150 times per day, if not more.

• brian botkillerbrian botkiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What do you know, there's more people having the issue with the menu popping out here, too! FIX IT HOOTSUITE, FIX IT NOW

• @Malvenue@Malvenue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LET ME TURN OFF THAT ^&*%&%^ MENU.

EVERY time I move my mouse to the left of the screen that damned menu pops out, covering my most important stream. EVERY professional application developer will tell you how INFURIATING it is for clients to have to stop what they're doing and click somewhere else on the screen to clear pop-under menus.

Please enter the 21st century of software design and let us turn the godammned thing OFF.

• Ashley PriceAshley Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. A lot of the time I am using a laptop with a not overly accurate track pad. So I find my cursor goes further left than I mean it to and out pops the menu bar. As I've quickly clicked (thinking I'm selecting a tweet), I find I have actually chosen another menu option and get taken elsewhere.

If it only happened very occasionally it wouldn't be so bad, but it does happen a lot.

It would be good to have the option of whether to click the menu bar for it to expand.

• @Malvenue@Malvenue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I despise the pop-out menu. I run dual monitors with Hootsuite open on the right so I can review feeds while I work on the main monitor. Every time I click on my browser then mouse back to my main monitor the window pops out and STAYS OUT, blocking my left most feed. This is extraordinarily annoying and distracting. Just put a menu button at the top like every other application in the world!

• TrentTrent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps just sliding it to the bottom of the window will work. The auto expand is just too close to the "Refresh All" button which is when it gets accidentally triggered.

• baterflybaterfly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sidebar is hideous, distracting, takes up space and serves no good purpose. Bring back the owl!!!

• JMJM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone else here.. the sidebar takes up valuable column space and doesn't match the theme. It looks out of place. I also find myself accidentally hovering over it by accident causing it to expand and get in my way. Please bring back the owl or give an option of which to use.

• Chris QuickChris Quick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed -- screen space is already limited but to have a sidebar that cannot be docked or moved makes it even more difficult to monitor multiple columns at a time.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree with the above. The new bar is annoying. Please, Hootsuite, revert to the old UI, unobtrusive. Or at least add an option to hide / move it.

• RowanRowan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Annoying waste of space and distracting since they are of a completely different color than the rest of the interface. Either put it back on top or made it auto-hide when not in use.

Feedback and Knowledge Base