I suggest you ...

Rotate Ow.ly images

Can't believe that with the inevitable phone upload not being properly in portrait or landscape that Hootsuite doesn't give us any way to rotate. Seriously??

124 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mattbrichmattbrich shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ccnomadccnomad shared a merged idea: Add 'rotate' buttons to right misoriented photos on Ow.ly.  ·   · 
    Niccolo' FormaiNiccolo' Formai shared a merged idea: Ow.ly - Users should be able to rotate pictures once uploaded!  ·   · 
    under review  ·  SarahSarah responded  · 

Hi everyone!
    We will continue to look into ways that Owly images can be better manipulated after an upload (such as rotating).
    However, for users that are having trouble with pictures uploading with the wrong rotation, we do have a suggestion. Many users have found that toggling the orientation lock on their mobile device, specifically iOS, has resolved this issue. To do so on iOS, double tap the home button, swipe once left and press the orientation button.
    If this doesn’t resolve the issue for you, don’t worry! We’ll still keep this feedback item under review.
    Thanks!
    Sarah @HootSuite_Help – http://hootsuite.com/help

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DaniDani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you need a quick fix to this problem and have access to Photoshop, try opening and saving the file. Worked for me...since apparently we're on our own with this one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, a hint for iOS doesn't help an android user. The most aggravating thing is that I specifically went into my gallery and rotated the photo before uploading... and it still uploaded sideways!

Seriously, fix this. Turning off the phone's orientation setting doesn't work. Rotating a photo 90° in the opposite direction and saving it that way before posting doesn't work. Maybe standing on my head to take photos will work--haven't tried that yet.

Hey, how about implementing this simple feature? This will take 30 min for a developer. Thanks.

• John N.John N. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can not believe I have to vote to get this problem resolved. Hootsuite it is not rocket science to flip a picture side ways. It is annoying as a paying customer that it takes more than 100 votes and 10 months to fix something this simple.

• Brad WoodBrad Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Argh, seriously please fix this. The patronizing note about changing settings on our phone doesn't help once a picture is already posted. Besides, I have Android, not iOS and the image is CORRECT on my phone. You are the ones who screwed it up so don't go telling me to change my settings. *grumble grumble*

• JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been 9 months and no update to allow a simple image rotation on upload. I guess what all the people say below is right, we will have to use other services that can get this simple tool right. Its a shame too because HootSuite does so many other things well.

• Phil PeelPhil Peel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry I'm afraid I 'm going to have to abandon Hootsuite as I am a photographer/filmmaker and this arbitary and unpredictable rotation just makes me looks like I don't know what I'm doing.

• Dave EvansDave Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sarah-

My guess is that you have no "roadmap" plans to fix this...correct? You should just say that, and then we'll all get on with it and fix it by using something else.

Personally, I'm tired of it.

D

I am the social media manager for Seaside Magazine in Sidney BC, Canada. Hootsuite is an excellent social media dashboard overall. However, I cannot understand why having a tool to reorientate photos has not been implemented by Hootsuite - especially for businesses who absolutely depend on getting followers through engaging the public through links to articles, videos and photographs. Some of the biggest responses that I see on social media are through fantastic photos. Having a user-friendly photo reorientation service would keep us competitive in the market and Hootsuite should consider making this a regular feature on their dashboard. Unfortunately, we cannot depend on regular cameras and smartphone cameras to always function optimally. My smart phone camera is unpredictable - even when I set it to reorientate my photos correctly, it will sometimes default back to not doing that out of the blue. It is important for Hootsuite to provide a service that reorientates our photos if our cameras will not - I am hoping that Hootsuite will provide this tool soon to customers.

• CarloCarlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@"Major Nelson": I think the EXIF data is read, but I think the problem occurs when hootsuite or owly compresses the image for upload.

When it does this, it destroys the EXIF data. It needs to be copies/stored, resized/compressed then copied back to the new image.

There are 8 possible orientation values in EXIF, since this info is stripped and hootsuite/owly doesn't rewrite/copy the original EXIF back to the new image, this is why the image is on its side.

It's pretty basic in my eyes: get orientation (1/8 possibilities) and selectively rotate it, depending on the rotation value.

Not getting much more into this. It's too early and that photo i posted previously is of our work car getting into an accident this morning in rush hour metro Manila :)

• Shane GoadShane Goad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there still not a way to rotate photos uploaded/posted through HootSuite? I'm posting more and more photos from my phone and rarely do they publish correctly. Not sure why this is an issue, especially almost 2 years after this thread began. Am looking for HootSuite alternatives.

Yep. Just uploaded an image from desktop, and it's been rotated incorrectly. Why is there no fix for this?

• Alan KleinAlan Klein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump. Just happened to me but from a computer upload -- not mobile. And, the original image has the correct orientation. This arbitrary rotation on the part of Ow.ly will make me think twice about using HootSuite to publish posts with images attached.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base