I suggest you ...

I wish I could block users from within Hootsuite DASHBOARD, not just contacts

Presently, there is no way to block someone from Dashboard without reporting them as Spam. The only way to non-spam block someone is to do so through Contacts, which means they must be following you or you them, and it is unwieldy if you're blocking many people at once.

I recommend an option in dashboard beside "Report Spammer" which is simply "Block".

58 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DWeissDWeiss shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    PatPat shared a merged idea: add "block user" as an option right next to "report spammer"  ·   · 
    Rose FoxRose Fox shared a merged idea: add a single button for blocking someone that does NOT report them for spam--and DOES work on verified accounts and advertisers.  ·   · 
    PatPat shared a merged idea: block someone by clicking on a twitter address and clicking block  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: make it possible to report and block twitter users from the stream functionality  ·   · 
    DWeissDWeiss shared a merged idea: I wish I could block users from within Hootsuite DASHBOARD, not just contacts  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Block user from Hootsuite  ·   · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Henry BendikHenry Bendik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long does report spam take to kick in? I did it an hour ago and the stuff keeps rolling in.

• Paul PattersonPaul Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I have specific a number of specialized "search" feeds that I currently have to build large search "-stringtoblock" type criteria to only because of one or two spammer type twits.

In-lieu of the block users feature, is there a reference (FAQ, How-To, etc) somewhere that could help us apply some strategies for this type of scenario? For example, wildcard filtering in search feeds, such as "-*substring*" ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to block users who I do not follow. I manage Twitter streams based on keyword searches and these users regularly use the words I search on, but I do not want to see their tweets because they are offensive to me.

• Ruby SinreichRuby Sinreich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely essential. Given that the menu already has Report Spammer, it should be easy to add a Block user option. I know the API does this as other clients make this very easy.

With a common word as a Twitter name, blocking users is the only way to sort out the junk from actual mentions.

• NefkensNefkens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to block a user in the search results. Who can help me with this? Greetings from holland.

• Thu WinThu Win commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well the "report" spammer "reports" the contact as spammer, I think, but what if the user you want to block is NOT a spammer but simply annoying?

• Perfectionista X.Perfectionista X. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be more than "considered"; I definitely think it should be implemented - period. I definitely appreciate Hootsuite as a useful tool. But its usefulness is reduced considerably when having to wade through spam messages so numerous that they overwhelm the actual content (no exaggeration). This is highly aggravating and time-consuming, and it's particularly frustrating that they're like the SAME 13 little tired spam posts over and over again. Just that makes a user want to use a similar tool that's less of a burden. Please let us know an update?

• pamjpamj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please please please please do this. i don't want to report people and there are so many spammers to block that are just overeager salespeople

• PamPam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe Hootsuite doesn't have this function. Why in the world not? It's absolutely essential to deal with the onslaught of spam and unwelcome mentions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base