I suggest you ...

add a scheduler to the RSS/ATOM feeds.

Use Case: an organization might want to have auto-updates during a certain time period (overnight or weekends for example) but wanted to manually update it during business hours.

65 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    FOX10NewsFOX10News shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    VimarcVimarc shared a merged idea: Schedule RSS Feeds  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Chris from HootSuiteChris from HootSuite responded  · 

No doubt, this is an interesting idea, and something we may offer someday to premium accounts.

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • manuelmanuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this ever going to be implemented or should we look elsewhere for a solution? thanks.

• Nick - LondonNick - London commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. I post my own blogs plus carefully selected other posts in the media via a Yahoo pipes filter and they go out as they come through, i.e. all over the night. So 1) people don't read them as they're either asleep or doing better things. and 2) it shows it's automated and gives the impression I'm not actually controlling the content. Both bad. Please, please sort out a way to schedule RSS feeds into the best times, also great if you could sync it with social bro data.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I logged in to ask the exact same thing. Customers never want to think you've got some auto bot doing your social bidding, but if you use yahoo pipes you can get very specific information that does look hand picked. But not when it comes out at 2am. It would be good if you could still make sure the posts come out in normal hours. Also means the post will actually be any use to anyone.

Cheers,

• Eye SocialeyesEye Socialeyes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scheduling feeds to go out on different days and times would help me tremendously. I manage 25+ accounts and would like to have the feed sent out 3 days a week while I updated their statuses the rest of the week myself.

Thanks

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scheduling feeds to go out on different days and times would help me tremendously. I manage 25+ accounts and would like to have the feed sent out 3 days a week while I updated their statuses the rest of the week myself.

Thanks

• mrcarlospenamrcarlospena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also could this include an option for Live updates as soon as something is posted to that RSS then it is updated to the social networks. I am a premium Hootsuite account user and also have to use dlvr.it because you do not offer more from RSS feeds also dlvr.it offers updating Facebook groups. Hope you do this soon cause I do love Hootsuite!

• MomoMomo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish ours would hit at 4:45pm instead of 2:00am. It's really not doing us much good to auto-tweet if no one will see it.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey all, has anyone found a good workaround for the time being? Thanks!

• Jeff Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Vimarc, this is the exact problem I'm having. I add the RSS feeds at different times throughout the day (each set to push out every 24 hours), but they seem to just all post at one time (4:45pm) so it completely defeats the purpose of spreading out my tweets. Then there will be random posts at 3 or 4am, which doesn't make any sense. Is there any workaround for this?

• Tisha OehmenTisha Oehmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The functionality currently provided by dlvr.it integrated with Hootsuite would be awesome! -- Add branded tweets and you'd have me for life.

• JulienJulien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implementing PubSubHubbub may very well solve this issue, because feed updates are pushed directly to Hootsuite as soon as they are available (and won't require HS to pull the feed).

• Michael ShepherdMichael Shepherd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also another idea is too keep everything the same way but instead of letting us determine when the RSS feed will stream by incremental time, let us choose the time of day it will stream. For example if I want my health rss feed to stream right at 12pm, let me choose that time. This will still prevent the problem of many users having the same post stream at the same time but it gives us a lot more control. For example I have my health stream posting at hours like 10pm and midnight. Sure I can tell it to stream post 12 hours but what if the article writer actually writes a post on time. Why should I have to keep guessing the blog writers writing schedule? Why not just let me choose what times they post as well. For those blogs that post multiple times throughout the day, you can keep the option that you currently have..

ie.

Schedule RSS Feed by Time? <field>
        Schedule RSS feed by Increment? <field>

I just had another killer idea.

Ok, how about you create a feed portal that brings in all the RSS posts into a holding chamber. Then in the holding chamber you allow us to manually approve all of the posts that we like (we can set too auto approve all posts might be a great option). Then we can simply set an interval at which each (man you owe me for my brilliance on this one) posts will stream out for each user according to how we set up each user.

So picture this. I have 10 RSS feeds that bring in 1 post a day and collectively give me 10 solid articles that I can stream through my accounts. But lets say that usually 2 of the 10 completely don't fit and make it look real obvious that I am streaming an RSS feed. For example if one of the posts is talking reads something like "Take a look at winter ski pictures from last year". This would clearly look very strange because the link would take them to someone else's blog and that just wouldn't make any sense.

So 10 RSS Feeds (an example) stream into my holding chamber where I can disapprove or approve the non related post. Now allow us to use the scheduler as I illustrated in the comments above on a per user basis. In other words, don't have the individual RSS feeds get scheduling rights, have the scheduling rights take place per user and have the user feed pull from the chamber of approved feeds.

Level 1 - Feeds Come IN
        Level 2 - Feeds get approved or disapproved in chamber
        Level 2 - Feeds are matched with user accounts
        Level 3 - User gets to schedule days and time intervals to release feeds pending in chamber

This is a total win all across the board. No longer will you have 500 accounts streaming the same content at the same time and annoying every twitter follower who follows other twitter followers with streaming RSS feeds.

You can even add the option to release batch releases at a time per interval

For example

Interval Rate - hourly
        Batch Rate: 3 posts at each interval release

This is the same idea I had. I stream my tweets to facebook and many other social networks and the problem I have is some of the social networks will "Merge" a bunch of walls/tweets/messages into one line summaries 'hiding all of the other posts - Facebook'.

So if we have an RSS Feed stream without knowing at what times, then when we actually do tweet a message that WE DO want our followers to read than there is a strong guarantee that they will not see our message but will see our RSS message. And for most of us we use the RSS tweets as 'fillers' but that doesn't server our primary intent for the account.

Having the ability to schedule the RSS tweets would allow us to set certain time periods where we could 'reserve' for our personal tweets.

It would be really helpful to be able to schedule multiple time periods if you think that feature wouldn't be too overboard. For example.

RSS Feed
        Schedule 1 Days - M - F
        Schedule 1 Hours - 7pm to 9am
        Schedule 1 Intervals - Every Two Hours
        (Also it would be nice if we had 1-24 instead of your preselects)

Schedule 2 Days - Sat, Sun
        Schedule 2 Hours - All Hours
        Schedule 2 Interval - Every Hour

Schedule 3 Days - you get the idea
        Time

• Bill CreswellBill Creswell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - I'd like the ability to run the RSS updates, because sometimes a post should broadcast right away, and I don't want to duplicate the automatic tweet with a regular tweet.

Feedback and Knowledge Base