I suggest you ...

Automatic Translation of non-english tweets

There are many non-english tweets in some of my streams. I would like them to be automatically translated to English. Should be a preference that says what language you want them to be translated to.

68 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rbergerrberger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    johnnyjohnny shared a merged idea: Have the option to translate tweets, many following bilingual users.  ·   · 
    msquihuismsquihuis shared a merged idea: offer realtime translation just like Tweetdeck  ·   · 
    fons.tuinstrafons.tuinstra shared a merged idea: translation  ·   · 
    started  ·  Dave HootSuiteDave HootSuite responded  · 

Added translation to the iPhone app as a starter. You can translate to/from 50+ languages and automatically translate to your default.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TYTY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice to see this started, don't forget the desktop version on this.

• JuliaJulia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really think automatic translation does not work for tweets. They have just 140 caracters and normally messages are shortened, do not follow normal grammar rules and play with the meaning (that is why twitter is so great). Automatic machines do not recognize these kind of features. Of course having the possibility to use automatic translation is great, it can help sometimes but I would rather suggest having two possibilities: one free automatic translation plus one app in which you could write your post, select a language and have them translated by a real person.

• Nils HjelmervikNils Hjelmervik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second his, but I think its important to focus on a service that translate not only into english, but can translate from/to any language.

Myself have norwegian as my native language, and use both english and norwegian. But my real problem is reading dutch tweets (!)

• DennisDennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automatic translations are ok to understand more or less what a tweet is about. But I recommend not to tweet automatic translated text without having it reviewed by a human person who speaks the language. I am translating from English to German regularly and I can tell you that automatic translations are not good for being published to your audience.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any idea on when this could arrive for the Web version? Now that TweetDeck has removed this functionality with the latest redesign, this would be a great plus for using Hootsuite! Thanks

• TellerTeller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Translate option in iPhone is great. +1 vote for doing the same in the web app. One thing that’s missing in comparison to Tweetdeck. We have tons of non-English tweets in our stream and using another tool for translation is very time-wasting.

• mattnathanmattnathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The translation features in the iPhone app are awesome - as next step, why not just implement in a similar way in the Web version?

• Robin from SummifyRobin from Summify commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update or ETA for in-stream translation on the web app? That would be fantastinomenal - thanks for an awesome product dudes!

• mentaldaggermentaldagger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want this. Though probably not an "automatic feature" and maybe more of a button feature near the send one like the rest...

• andybryantandybryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great. Works well in firefox, but I've already moved to chrome for the faster response... The script installs in Chrome, but doesn't seem to run.

• andybryantandybryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if you could implement it so that the system first detects a foreign language tweet - and offers to translate; then remembers your translation preference for that source - and translates any further messages from them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base