I suggest you ...

Add ability to filter out tweets based on hashtags.

Often I like to follow every tweet from one person exept one topic this person also talks about.

For example I want to filter out every tweet that has the hashtag #htc or #android, because these topics don't interest me.

Another example: Remove every tweet that is a retweet from @someone I already follow.

352 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    hoehfohoehfo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: add the ability to block hashtags. The exclusion argument doesn't work on feeds or lists.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I'd like to be able to filter out things (especially junk) from my keyword stream.  ·   · 
    AndrewAndrew shared a merged idea: Negative hashtags for streams  ·   · 
    Christopher PellegriniChristopher Pellegrini shared a merged idea: allow blocking / filtering-out by keyword or hashtag.  ·   · 
    mnisbetmnisbet shared a merged idea: allow any column to be filtered by keyword..  ·   · 
    Uwe HauckUwe Hauck shared a merged idea: allow to exclude certain #hashtags from my timelines  ·   · 
    JEVJEV shared a merged idea: Add ability to filter tweets based on source  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Chris from HootSuiteChris from HootSuite responded  · 

Right now, you can do this in a search or keyword column by adding the “-” argument in front of the term you’d like to filter. This functionality is not available yet in home feeds and mentions columns, though.

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HansHans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's possible to exclude tweets based on keywords/hashtags in Tweetbot and Tweetdeck. If Hootsuite doesn't offer this in some weeks, I'll change.

• Perry WheelerPerry Wheeler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably the biggest 'missing feature' Need to be able to exclude keywords and accounts from home feed

• DyNamaDyNama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have no problem skipping the tweets in my timeline that i don't want to read…except for the tweets i cant unread, ie, spoilers. i love live-tweeting tv shows. unfortunately that's the only event that is timezone-dependent. also some don't watch sporting events as they happen around the world because they or the tv network are time-shifting it. so those are the only tweets i'd like to block―a Chrome addon (Silencer) for that purpose was recently in the news. i probably would go further than hashtags and request filter on keywords.

• Rose FoxRose Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE implement this. I don't need to see everyone on my TL telling me the same news at once.

• ATAT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Downloading TweetDeck. If this doesn't get implemented, I'm switching for good. I don't need to know how many flowers were in the olympic flower baskets or how many olympic medals won by people's whose names start with Q. There aren't enough filter characters in the hashtag search either.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this functionality! I'm actually looking at other Twitter clients because I need this so much.

• Mark FosterMark Foster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really surprised to see this one hasn't been implemented yet or closed off? A good example of where this is need is where there's a conference with a hashtag that's creating excessive noise in your home stream due to overlaps in your follow list with conference attendees . We're busy telling folks to filter out the hashtag if the noise level is too high but how can we do this if clients don't support it?

• sjdorstsjdorst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've heartily 2nd this. NEED filters for home timeline. I've got far too many otherwise sane Tweeps I follow who triple the density of my timeline on Fridays. And most of them use @ffhelper - so suppressing display of tweets that include @ffhelper whould be MUCH appreciated!!

• Jay StephensJay Stephens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linked to this: Ability to select "exclude from home feed" when adding an account to a list (exactly the same as Google's "skip the inbox" option when creating a mail filtering rule).

• @Ovationchris@Ovationchris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pleeeaaase make this available on home feed ASAP. I'm sick of having otherwise good tweeters clogging up my time with Big Brother, X Factor or football nonsense

• =?ISO-8859-1?B?UmFt824gU3XhcmV6?==?ISO-8859-1?B?UmFt824gU3XhcmV6?= commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Chris, but the idea is to get tweets out of the main feed so that we do not have to see subjects we don't care about (like politics). Better to filter based on words, be it a hashtag or not.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base