I suggest you ...

Allow scheduling of RSS feed updates

Allow scheduling of RSS feed updates. For instance to look for an update at 9:30am, 12:30am, and 4:00pm. Market open, midday, and close. :)

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dow Jones IndexesDow Jones Indexes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Jos DeulingJos Deuling shared a merged idea: Setting a timestamp for publishing a rss item  ·   · 
    DavidDavid shared a merged idea: In Publisher 'RSS Feeds' allow new posts to go to an account's "scheduled tweets" first before going live  ·   · 
    Johnny GearyJohnny Geary shared a merged idea: allow users to create a time/posting for each feed, rather then 1 hour intervals  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Chris from HootSuiteChris from HootSuite responded  · 

While we don’t check RSS feeds for specific times, you can choose which time interval to check for new updates.

We may consider specific times in the future.

Keep in mind that current RSS technology does not allow for precise updates on the hour. However, doing a general check usually allows us to retrieve the latest post within minutes.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Douglas SymonDouglas Symon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this would be good to implement.

In the mean time could you please allow for more time intervals to be selected. For example all but one is currently an even number. And so the updates are always at the same times. It would be good to use an odd number like 11 instead of 12 and then the time of updates would gradually rotate. Of course I can probably do this manually by turning them on and off but this would be an easy addition that I would benefit from in the mean time.

• Warren DaneWarren Dane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be incredibly helpful. I really want the ability to stagger RSS posts so we won't spam the twitter stream with articles all at once. Options such as every other day, twice a week, 12:00am etc. would be awesome.

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this request. As it is now, all of my RSS feeds come in at the same time which floods my tweet output all at one time. This has resulted in people unfollowing as if they check their timelines at that time my all-at-once RSS-based tweets comes across as spam. Despite the fact that current RSS technology may not allow for precise updates, 2 tweeks would mitigate the flooding problem enormously:

1. Enable different RSS subscriptions to be sent (or at least poll the feeds) at different times, i.e. let me send the contents of one feed at one time, and another feed at another time. This would enable me to spread out AND also optimize which RSS feeds are best based on certain times, and

2. Enabling the ability to check a feed for unread items more than once a day. I care less about when posts are put into the RSS feed and more about when I grab them and forward them off from my account as tweets. If an RSS feed had posted 10 on a particular day, I could go in at, say, 9:00, 12:00, 3:00 and 6:00 requesting only 2 or 3 unread posts to tweet out at that time.

• wohin.dewohin.de commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We try to import posts via rss feed to twitter at a specific time. We thought the solution is to set the pubdate to ex: <pubdate>2011-06-15T15:00:00Z</pubdate> (current date)

But Hootsuite is posting constantly at 2:38am every day. What can/should we do to make Hootsuite post in the afternoon (3:00pm)?

We found this in a support request:

"...Does your feed display the most recent post as having a PAST date? This is important because if the pubDate displays a FUTURE date (ex: Wed, 27 Dec 2130), HootSuite will not publish posts with a pubDate before the future date..."

Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base