I suggest you ...

Android version needs option to NOT run at system startup.

I see that it is running as a background process when I restart my device. This should be optional.

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark SimondsMark Simonds shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Greg LawrenceGreg Lawrence shared a merged idea: Turn off auto run in background!  ·   · 
    willdrobinsonwilldrobinson shared a merged idea: Turn off background synch on Android  ·   · 
    under review  ·  JeffJeff responded  · 

The app currently runs as a service. We’re looking into adding options to better manage this.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JeddJedd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So with 18 months of looking into better managing the app's background consumption .. how are we going?

• JeddJedd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have push notifications all turned off, and 'Start on boot' turned off as well - but within 30-60 seconds of booting my ICS I see that Hootsuite is running and chewing up 10MB.

Why would that be?

• Robbie LinkRobbie Link commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 services constantly running on my galaxy nexus - the main app and the push service. they start when the phone starts. I have app set to NOT run at boot and I have push turned OFF. No way these need to be running if I only want to start the app manually. I see it's been 2 years since Jeff stated "we're looking into adding options to better manage this". I just installed this app and like it but not interested in keeping it if it's going to run all the time.

• Patrick ChamberlainPatrick Chamberlain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

love hootsuite desktop and android but it's top battery user on my Asus transformer - for example this morning battery was down to 20% from 90% when my transformer was unused and on standby overnight, and battery usage is showing
        40% hootsuite
        33% android os
        11% wifi
        9% tablet idle
        8% screen

• NeilMortNeilMort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like Hootsuite desktop, but why does Android version run all the time? It accounts for between 10 and 20% of battery drain even when not being used for a day. No auto updates set, and set not to start at startup, yet it runs anyway?

• BLueSSBLueSS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This auto-running Hootsuite Service takes up more CPU than any other running service on my Samsung Vibrant.

SystemPanel shows that even after I shut the service down, it will auto restart even though I have not opened the program!

Better options are sorely needed!

• merlinoxmerlinox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've Android 2.1 in Motorola Defy. Hootsuite is set like don't start at boot. But it starts the same. I think you may anyway add a great "close" or "exit" button in your app!

Feedback and Knowledge Base