How can we improve HootSuite University?

Revamp the HSU Certificate so that it is the users upon completion and not dependent on monthly fees.

Currently HSU sells certificate programs without telling the user that they have to pay a continual monthly fee to keep their certificate that amounts to $264 a year if you want to be a certified professional. This is misleadig to the consumer when most certificate programs at real universities are set up as follows: 1) Enroll 2) Pay 3) Complete courses 4) Pass 5) Certificate is the students for eternity (without a monthly fee)

HSU sales program is misleading to students, users and social media professionals. This sales cycle needs to be rethought and adjusted to create true professionals certified in HS - not just a subscription scam created by the company.

114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dawn RoscoeDawn Roscoe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    monreal6673monreal6673 shared a merged idea: Tuition: One time fee  ·   · 
    BellTinkRBellTinkR shared a merged idea: Perpetual fee for maintaining certification = bad idea  ·   · 
    under review  ·  SarahSarah responded  · 

Hi everyone!
    Once you pass the exams and become HootSuite Certified, the badge is yours to keep and you can display it on your website or social media profiles! However, in order to remain listed in HootSuite’s Social Media Consultants directory, you must be an active and paying student of HootSuite University.
    The monthly enrolment fee also gives you access to new lecture series and updated course ware. We’ll mark this under review as we look into updating the program.
    Thank you for your feedback!

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sarah, are we able to get a pdf version of our certificate or even an image that lists that we are certified? It seems ridiculous that I signed up and paid for a course to get certified in HootSuite and then I don't receive anything more than a small badge for it that doesnt even list my name. No one can verify that I actually achieved it versus taking it off of Google, etc.

Please let me know if there is any kind of solution to this as it is not right to treat consumers like this.

• Mary RoscoeMary Roscoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like it times to call in the consumer fraud people. Bait and switch is against the law. If you have to pay a fee above and beyond the cost of program and that is not clear sounds shady to me.

• Kirk MunroKirk Munro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, this is pretty bad.

First, it isn't apparent when you sign up that it's $21 _per_month_, and that you must pay this to be listed in the "certified HootSuite professional" directory listing (a listing that is so new that it's value is minimal).

Second, your test scoring system is broken, reporting correct answers as incorrect on 2 of the three core tests, so the value of becoming a "certified HootSuite professional" is questionable (how many of the certified professionals that are there now are there because they answered incorrectly and were marked as having the correct answers? Sounds certifiable to me.

Third, while there is some value (albeit minimal) in the continued learning/seminars that are made available through HootSuite U, I think you would be much better off if you were to take up some of the other suggestions posted here. It appears that the only reason you're not offering up your courseware for free at this point is because you are aware that the "Certified HootSuite Professional" certification means nothing, so there would be little value for users to take the tests once they learned the courseware (that, plus the testing system is broken).

Why not: (a) offer a one-time enrollment fee to take the courses/exams, and (b) have a minimal alumni fee for those customers who want to continue to get additional content every month (and this would have to be minimal, like $5/month, while you provide enough value on your side to make it an absolute no-brainer for customers to stay signed up)? And for your listing, well, just show the user and the date they were last enrolled (including alumni dates), with an expiry period beyond the date of last enrollment (6-months, 12-months, something like that), so that users see some value in the courseware, continue to sign-up, stay on as alumni, and aren't afraid to promote what you're doing here.

I've reached out to you about the scoring issues through one of your co-workers (Mark) and haven't heard anything in over a week. As a paying customer for a service that is overpriced, that's not acceptable.

As it stands today I can't even "Like" your page on FaceBook because the model is too flawed for me to put any weight behind it.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was ready to sign up until I realized it was perpetual. This really makes me question the overall ethics of this company. I hope they rethink this.

• RobertoRoberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Hootsuite charging us just to show our certificates, I rather have them send me a certificate to post in my wall (Real Wall at office), and pay them for upgrades like CE Credits every time there is a major upgrade to the platform just like Google+ or other major changes. There is no real value for this monthly charge

• Javier G.Javier G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that perpetual fee is perhaps quite expensive. Just to add some ideas here: offer Pro accounts for free (or a special plan like Pro + another user), annual discounts (such like pay 8 months, get listed for a year), add good material each month (for instance a complete tutorial of Facebook, with search, ... real cases to get engagement...

There are good ideas in the material you share in Slideshare to everyone for free, these can be useful to make video tutorials, and also you can offer the slides you share in slideshare only to people who pay HootSuite U... also, we could learn a lot with more webinars, exclusive events...

You can offer us more than only get listed, thank you very much.

• inkazarinkazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HERE'S A SOLID SUGGESTION:
        (1) make the training materials available free
        (2) charge about $50 for the tests (total fee for all 4 tests)
        (3) create a special Partner account level for $12/month that *includes*:
        -- continued access to training materials
        -- a Pro account with 1 free additional team account
        -- listing in the certified pro directory

• inkazarinkazar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it only occurred to me after signing up for a month of HU (thinking I could easily pass certification within one month) that paying the $21 every month might be required in order to be listed as a certified HootSuite U "graduate".

I agree the cost is excessive. For any other software certification program I have ever contemplated, there is a test fee and, if one chooses to take the official training, of course a fee for training materials.

It behooves the software vendor to have certified consultants available to potential customers. We evangelize the tools we have learned and we help YOUR customers implement them. Hence we are channel partners and $252 USD/year is way too much to charge for a directory listing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base