Feedback Forum

I suggest you ...

Twitter Stream API

Twitter has a stream API which allows a live view of the users twitter stream. Documentation is here http://dev.twitter.com/pages/streaming_api. TweetDeck (and ChromeDeck), and Seesmic both support it, and it's a great feature, would be awesome to have it in hootsuite too.

160 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan AnglissJonathan Angliss shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Torben VolkmannTorben Volkmann shared a merged idea: Autorefresh and Autoscroll for Twitter  ·   · 
    Bentley R.Bentley R. shared a merged idea: Please provide the option for real-time stream updates.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow the streams to be a constant feed and not just refresh every 2 mins  ·   · 
    Martin CMartin C shared a merged idea: Constant update and improve the column 'mentions'  ·   · 
    creuscreus shared a merged idea: Some suggestions...  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Live streaming of timeline, mentions and direct messages  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Auto Refresh  ·   · 
    Leonardo CamargoLeonardo Camargo shared a merged idea: Real time refresh. Waiting for the 2-minute-refresh is hell.  ·   · 
    SueSue shared a merged idea: Update streams "as they come in" - so I'm getting a constant update. When a topic is hot, every 2 minutes isn't fast enough!  ·   · 
    Deepa Deepa shared a merged idea: Appearance of Tweets should be streamlined.  ·   · 
    TalTal shared a merged idea: use streaming TL updates, as two minute updates are way too slow.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Suggestion, I got a suggestion for ya...fastest auto refresh is two damn minutes....give me a break. I want my realtime refresh back ...  ·   · 
    Diet JusticeDiet Justice shared a merged idea: Refresh v Live  ·   · 
    Veronica AarstadVeronica Aarstad shared a merged idea: Make an option for auto-refresh in real time  ·   · 
    Matthew S HorbundMatthew S Horbund shared a merged idea: reduce refresh delay  ·   · 

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James HanneyJames Hanney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this still under review? It would also be nice if this was added to streams in UberVU. Having the board update instantly or even every 10 seconds without interaction would allow feeds to monitored in media or command rooms.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've reached out to their "Help" account on Twitter several times on this, because it's always baffling how they have yet to integrate a feature now 3 years old. Their responses are always vague, and have paper thin excuses for why it's not integrated yet. Their biggest concern is load on their servers, which is valid, but not enough of a reason to not integrate it. I'm sure plenty of other features less useful than Twitter stream are implemented that also increase load on their servers.

This is something that could be easily handled, yet they'd rather just drag their feet and not improve the user experience. I really want to like the product as it has some cool functionality, but I can't use it for more than an hour before the timed refreshes become a pain. The HootSuite team really needs to get their act together.

"This is Twitter functionality we hope to add in the upcoming future" <--- from HootSuite Oct 26 2011... it is now Jan 16 2014!!!!! Where is it??? Not really a daft question!

I recently set up a Pro account with Hootsuite on a 30 day trial because it's certainly more advanced than Tweetdeck in a lot of ways. Especially in organizing streams. However, two minute refreshes just isn't enough for what I do. I'm pretty much counting the days in hopes an auto refresh is set up, otherwise I might go back to Tweetdeck and find other ways to get the advantages that Hootsuite provides.

• Chris VandergaagChris Vandergaag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for live streaming - increasingly people use Twitter to 'broadcast' rather than something akin to a bulletin board. 2 mins between refreshes is generally ok but under certain circumstances, can feel like an eternity (if you're following a trending topic or trying to participate in 'two screen experience' events.

• James DiGioiaJames DiGioia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't have to use both Hootsuite and TweetDeck if Hootsuite had streaming. PLEASE ADD THIS KTHX

Please add it. I finding myself going to Tweetdeck bc it is a true feed, much easier to stay up to the minute especially things are hot

Live-updates is an amazing features and I hope we can get something like this on Hootsuite!

• Angel RodriquezAngel Rodriquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is really the only thing I don't like about HootSuite right now. I have used Tweetdeck, forever, but with recent poor versions and the older version crashing too much I have reluctantly made the switch to HootSuite. I say reluctantly because there still is no support for live streaming. I see that this post was made LONG LONG ago so it's sad to see that no progress has been made on this issue.

• FlufFluf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the live stream API is of benefit to those that actually read the TL. Hootsuite and Twitter's main direction now is as a broadcast / advertising medium. They seem to forget that depends on people having good tools to read the TL. Same as others here, I'm not touching Hootsuite till it gets twitter streaming.

• Braden FrameBraden Frame commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously! Let's make this happen...then I'll adopt hoot suite...otherwise...not so much...

Still zero update to this after so long? User stream api is there to be used...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite surprised that in 2012 HootSuite still has no Twitter streaming support. This is for me a reason not to use it anymore. It's really hard to see that all other clients support streaming and in HootSuite you have to wait until it refreshes the list of the tweets.

• Alex MayAlex May commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use of the Twitter Stream API would sort this out. There is already a suggestion for that.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There honestly shouldn't be much to look into...it's already available to use. The User Stream API does just that...

• AlejandroAlejandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

having to wait for 2 minutes is really slow. and it doesn't help having to be clickinc the refresh button every 5 seconds. It could help a lot if you could enable real time streaming like tweetdeck or other dashboards.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base