Feedback Forum

I suggest you ...

allow for different types of file export formats for archives

While it is great that you can export archives as a CSV file, many tweets have commas as part of the message and that breaks the Excel import. Suggest that you allow other delimiters like tab or special characters that you can specify.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael SheehanMichael Sheehan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Katie ConlonKatie Conlon shared a merged idea: change the Twitter archive format from CSV to Excel so commas in tweets don't get confused with comma separators.  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JennyJenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. The csv is really bad on all formats I've tried it on. Gutted because I ended up having to print screen everything which took forever. Apart from that hootsuite is really good. Hopefully some sort of update can be done

• Lucas CioffiLucas Cioffi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Nicole, it seems that folks aren't asking for additional file formats, just a a different character (instead of the comma) to separate the columns in the exports (i.e. the tweet, author, date, etc). When they are separated with a comma, there are problems, because tweets also have commas and there's no way to tell if a comma is part of a tweet or separating a a column.

• ABernathyABernathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. You need above-average regular-expression skills to parse the database into a format that awk, or R can work with. Tab delimited text files might be perhaps the easiest solution?

• JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps the delimiter could simply be two commas, back-to-back? Seems like this would not often happen naturally in Tweets, and allows the comma symbol to remain as the delimiter...

• NatNat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES. Pls hop on this ASAP or do something that changes commas in tweets to another character

Feedback and Knowledge Base