Feedback Forum

I suggest you ...

Shorten links automatically

automatically shorten URLs pasted into the Compose Message window if there is enabled option

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Admirador de damasAdmirador de damas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    LisaLisa shared a merged idea: offer a one-click button to shorten links already in the text box, like mobile app does.  ·   · 
    Jared MorganJared Morgan shared a merged idea: automatically shorten URLs pasted into the Compose Message window.  ·   · 
    under review  ·  SarahSarah responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion! We’ll look at the feasibility of doing this in the future. An opt-in setting would be necessary.

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came to see if I wanted to use this service, or be forced to google. Automatic shortening makes a difference, it big be offers it. Rather not use g.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a new hootsuite user, forced here by the imminent demise of tweetdeck, and I'm stunned to learn that this isn't already built into the client. I don't want to use ow.ly to double-shorten my links. I want the client to automatically use t.co like any other Twitter client, and I want the character counter to auto-count all links as 23 chars against my 140 limit. Any other behavior is ridiculous.

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the option to click a button to shorten URLs on the android tablet version works well. Similar functionality seems to be missing from the browser version.

• Patricia EgenPatricia Egen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with prior posts - this needs to be added. With 140 characters and URL strings getting longer and longer why would we not want to shorten them?

• Bill Horvath IIBill Horvath II commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a mission-critical feature for us, and should be a preference, plain and simple. Nothing looks worse than a posting in Twitter that says "Check out this great link, even though I've exceeded 140 characters by including it: ...", which apparently is what HootSuite does by default.
        Why does HootSuite replace excess characters with an ellipsis, instead of warning the user that the Tweet will exceed 140 characters? That's WORSE than shortening links for users who don't want them shortened.

• merlinoxmerlinox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think too this is a great featuere and for users don't want it, you can really simply add an option "do you want automatic shortener?".

Thanks

• Adam MontvilleAdam Montville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a silly reason to decline. Make it an option in preferences. It doesn't seem to difficult. This is actually a reason to stop using HootSuite altogether. And, I doubt the reason you provided has any basis in fact. I don't follow thousands of users, but I see a far greater number of shortened URLs than I do full-length URLs.

As others have pointed out, cut and paste is pretty invasive on what needs to be a very smooth workflow. The clunkier the tool makes the workflow, the more your users will defect in favor of some other solution - and there are plenty out there.

• Nick VitalariNick Vitalari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option to shorten URLs in Hootsuite would be a major plus from a user standpoint. The lack of this feature gives pause to becoming a pro user.

• Joseph M. Pisano, Ph.D.Joseph M. Pisano, Ph.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should NOT be declined... it's a pain in the butt for power Twitter Users who are trying to maximize their one-forty. Instead, I suggest putting an option that defaults to "as it is" and please allow a large number of us the option to implement it. Thanks for your re-consideration.

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're morons for declining this. At least put a goddamn button in like you have in the mobile version.

• AngelaAngela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a TweetDeck user for 2 years, I really don't get that 'declined' reason. I want to shorten my url's 98% of the time. Love being able to click on the shortened url IF I want it to display as original url. Slick feature.

• Ross CRoss C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if you had the option. Shortened URLs are important to me.

• Chris RChris R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a button for the user to click instead of forcing use to cut and paste. HootSuite should have a "shrink" button that automatically replaces URL's with a short URL. I hate having to cut URL's out of the post, shrink them, and move them back to the proper place in the post (instead of at the end). Follow Tweetdeck's example and make HootSuite more usable for your customers.

• BrettBrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an option to auto-shorten URLs in the Compose bar that you can set in the preferences? Doesn't need to be default but would love to enable this feature if possible.

Here are the only URL shortening options I see in preferences...none of which look like they can be enabled (seem more like an explanation of options) --> http://screencast.com/t/lOnK4rz4VRk

Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base