Feedback Forum

I suggest you ...

Add an option to disable shift+enter to publish

I see you've declined this idea in the past but hear me out:
Shift+Enter to auto publish is a *shortcut*, not a necessary feature. Most people don't even know it exists until they accidentally press it and blast out a half-finished message to thousands of people.

If Ctrl+Z is the shortcut for Undo in almost every program but you make it the shortcut to auto-delete the file in your program you're going to cause problems.

Twice now I've accidentally published unfinished posts and it's just silly that you won't even add an *option* to disable it for people who will never want/need to use Shift+Enter to save the two seconds it takes to click a button instead.

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ReeseReese shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: PLEASE  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Stop sending off my posts when i simply just press the enter button  ·   · 
    StephenStephen shared a merged idea: Get rid of the functionality of pressing "Shift+Enter" as a publish feature. I don't care about Wordpress, its 100% counter-intuitive!  ·   · 
    GeoffGeoff shared a merged idea: Now that shift-enter = linebreak on FB, HootSuite NEEDS to fix so shift-Enter does NOT = publish!!  ·   · 
    Jodi Baglien SparkesJodi Baglien Sparkes shared a merged idea: Remove Shift-Enter for Send Now  ·   · 

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DanaDana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a fix for this yet? I see this suggestion was posted in 2013... yet I am still encountering the shift+enter dilemma, and looking like an idiot on my company's social media pages. If there's been an update, I'd love to learn about it. If there's not been an update, I vote for one to take place.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First 3 hours on Hootsuite and I've spent two of them just deleting 30 accidental posts cause Im just hardwired to Shift+enter or adding a break.

FML

Im assuming there's still no way to disable it?

• Justine HerbivoreJustine Herbivore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow I thought I was the only one having this "Shift+Enter" problem, posting half finished stuff all the time looking like an idiot. Now I see I'm not.
        Please, Hootsuite, consider changing this and align with this universal function!

• M. VooysM. Vooys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I avoid using a single Enter in texts to prevent it from being sent or adding a paragraph tag. So I use Shift+Enter on a daily basis instead, it's part of my mental model. Giving it a whole different meaning in Hootsuite can be seen as user unfriendly.
        Please reconsider this shortcut within Hootsuite and prevent embarrassing posts of your users!

• ShannonShannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do this daily. And then look like an idiot. This is my #1 complaint with Hootsuite. Maybe my only complaint.

So frustrating. Shift enter is the universal function for an extra line. NOT posting. Please change it!!

I think so, too.
        Decided to formulate a shortcut on a whim is sufficient only Microsoft :-(

• Paul YendleyPaul Yendley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just went to post my first FB and Google+ joint message from Hootsuite and bam, I use the almost-universally-known-as-a-newline shortcut and end up posting the initial sentence.

I mean, here I am using Shift+Enter in this message box. This is the purpose of Shift+Enter, so I absolutely know that I'm putting a new line in and /not/ submitting any form.

• Javier MarínJavier Marín commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pleeeeeease. I use Hootsuite to post in Twitter and Facebook and i have to manually delete all the post that Í want to insert a Line Feed. I make this mistake about a third of the times...

• Moe RubenzahlMoe Rubenzahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes. This makes me CRAZY. Some systems (e.g. Facebook) allow a blank line in a message, using shift+Enter. When I do this while constructing a Hootsuite posting -- bang! It's published!! Embarrassing to have a partial posting go live.

Enter or Shift+Enter absolutely should not just send the post live. I -HATE- that shortcut!!!

• OwenOwen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should to be command (control) + enter to match google and twitter.
        Facebook used to have shift + enter as a way to enter line breaks instead of sending your message (by pressing just enter) - the exact opposite of hootsuite.
        This shortcut is absolute nonsense and should be changed/removed/forgotten. Cheers!

• Damiano RodriguezDamiano Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ABSOLUTELY!
        The Shift + Enter is a pain every time!
        If you don't want remove this feature PLEASE make a setting to disactivate the publishing if Shift + Enter are pressed, only this.

A simple CheckBox: "Shift + Enter will publish" true or false.
        I think it's A LINE of code made this feature.

• JayJay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Elsewhere Hootsuite justitifies the shift enter because of wordpress - but Hootsuite has the functionality wrong. In Hootsuite it plublishes a post. Every other website (Wordpress, facebook etc) it adds a single line.

Please stop doing this hootsuite - it is very annoying!

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, I'd be happy to take my feelings into an off line conversation if you'd give me the chance. Because I'd like to see your team actually take user experience seriously seeing as to how you build a platform that users put in place to allow them to manage user relationships.

Feel free to email me. In fact I'd be VERY pleased to see a response email that isn't "canned",

• JayJay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the biggest issue for our team - we are all used to using shift-enter on facebook and we move over to hootsuite, suddenly everyone is accidentally entering after just the first line! VERY ANNOYING!

At the very least, it should be an option to turn off.

• Graham JohnsonGraham Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd actually like 'Shift+Enter' to stick a line break in, as I am accustomed to it doing in so many other places. The 'Enter' key is conventionally used to trigger the default action for a form, so I expect it to publish the post and carefully avoid using it. HootSuite seems to have it back to front and it is incredibly annoying and I just don't understand why it can't at least be made an option to switch their functionality.

Hootsuite, I strongly urge you to reconsider this suggestion. I am so used to using SHIFT-ENTER to give me a line break, particular on major sites like FB. Many times I've had to go through 4 of my social media profiles to manually delete something that I've mistakenly posted by hitting shift-enter. It's a complete waste of my time.... and Hootsuite is about saving time, no? Pretty pretty please!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base