Feedback Forum

How can we improve Hootsuite?

Add an option to disable shift+enter to publish

I see you've declined this idea in the past but hear me out:
Shift+Enter to auto publish is a *shortcut*, not a necessary feature. Most people don't even know it exists until they accidentally press it and blast out a half-finished message to thousands of people.

If Ctrl+Z is the shortcut for Undo in almost every program but you make it the shortcut to auto-delete the file in your program you're going to cause problems.

Twice now I've accidentally published unfinished posts and it's just silly that you won't even add an *option* to disable it for people who will never want/need to use Shift+Enter to save the two seconds it takes to click a button instead.

210 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ReeseReese shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MarcoMarco shared a merged idea: Removing the feature who make the post been published when pressing SHIFT+ENTER. I sent posts for error a lot of times...  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: PLEASE  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Stop sending off my posts when i simply just press the enter button  ·   · 
    StephenStephen shared a merged idea: Get rid of the functionality of pressing "Shift+Enter" as a publish feature. I don't care about Wordpress, its 100% counter-intuitive!  ·   · 
    GeoffGeoff shared a merged idea: Now that shift-enter = linebreak on FB, HootSuite NEEDS to fix so shift-Enter does NOT = publish!!  ·   · 
    Jodi Baglien SparkesJodi Baglien Sparkes shared a merged idea: Remove Shift-Enter for Send Now  ·   · 

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real problem. When I use Hootsuite, I can't relax as I'm typing up a post in the publisher. I am literally on edge focusing at NOT pressing shift+enter for a line break.

This is second nature to basically anyone who has used multiple platforms of social media...and yet it's INVERTED for a social media publishing suite. What GIVES, and who the hell thinks that this isn't a terrible idea?

Better question: How is Shift+Enter to publish a good idea???

• HellenHellen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This just happened to me too! I was editing and I accidentally posted without completing the sentence had to go to twitter to delete. Yes, no one needs this feature clicking literally takes a second. Please fix. I just joined Hootsuite and I'm considering other options because I don't want to send unfinished messages by accident.

Ditto to all of this. I just did this, and it's very embarrassing. Shift enter on every other platform allows you to input spaces.

PLEASE FIX THIS! Who needs this feature? It is too easily to accidently post to thousands of users.

• YingYing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please change this feature, I have accidentally sent out unfinished posts to hundreds of followers.

• Thomas BarlowThomas Barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestlyu how is this not fixed yet!

You can use it in this box! I've missent about two dozen tweets over the past year.
        I've reached breaking point. I am migrating to another platform if it isn't solved (or at least there's some confirmation that a fix is on the way) in a month.

• Steve RobbinsSteve Robbins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hate that shift+enter publishes items.

I use it as a soft return in publishing programs and all other online formats, yet Hootsuite uses this combination to publish, which has resulted in me publishing a few items earlier that I'd originally planned to.

Surely on a scheduling program like Hootsuite, it's not overly critical for people to be able to instantly publish items with a keyboard shortcut, given that if they wanted to do that, they could simply be using the native program.

Anyway that's just my feedback, maybe other users enjoy that feature.

• HenryHenry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is killing me. Shift+enter is a carriage return on most things (including the box I am typing in right now). If there isn't an option to disable this I'm going to have to switch the company to other software. It's unacceptable for a business to accidentally post things. Honestly, how much time does clicking a confirmation box take?

If there has to be a hot key at least make it ctrl+shift+[ or something you won't hit by mistake.

• NBNB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I registered a few minutes ago, sent 4 unfinished messages by just wanting to start a new line... and am unsubscribing right away. Too bad this simple thing was not considered by your staff... :(

FUCK MY FUCKING LIFE
        THIS
        HAPPENS
        TO
        ME
        EVERY
        FUCKING
        DAY
        PLEASE
        STOP
        IT
        WHO NEEDS A SHORTCUT TO POST ANYWAY !!!?!?!??!?!?!?!

• John GearyJohn Geary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm just learning to use HootSuite and in one day, I've found this to be so INCREDIBLY annoying, as many others have posted in this thread. If I did not need to learn how to use HootSuite for one of my contracts, I would use something else, like Buffer.

• David 'DK' KingDavid 'DK' King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I'm so sick of this shortcut, it's so dumb. For every other social website, that shortcut makes a new paragraph. I'm using other social auto-posters now solely because that shortcut has annoyed me so much. If you add a way to change it, I'll come back. But for now, I'm gonna use other services

• mark eastermark easter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this too !

What is amazing is that we can Shift + Enter on this forum to make a new paragraph,but we can not do it on Hootsuite itself !!!!!

• Yucel KamcezYucel Kamcez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes yes yes... cancel it, please!
        please, don't fight with ordinary habits!
        we have enough silly routins, there is no need for more...

• TiffanyTiffany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

After publishing my tenth half-finished tweet (to a work account no less), I googled hootsuite accidental enter because honestly I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong.

"Add an option to disable shift+enter to publish" was the first google result after the paid hootsuite ad.

Hmmph.

I use shift+enter all the time on lots and lots of platforms and nothing like this has ever happened before. For example, I am using it to create the line breaks in this post.

As others have stated -- on many platforms, including Facebook, this well-known *line break shortcut* is used to avoid preemptive posting of an unfinished message.

It is maddening that you haven't acknowledged this mistake or fixed this yet, especially when it's such a simple fix.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base