Feedback Forum

I suggest you ...

Unread count in tabs

I would like to see an unread count in the tabs I create.

Here's a screenshot of what I mean: http://img.skitch.com/20100217-d5whaynh6ekaj444es217q55rr.jpg

134 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    bsetterbsetter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AlpAlp shared a merged idea: improvement  ·   · 
    Justin DoCantoJustin DoCanto shared a merged idea: make notifications inform you of new tweets across all tabs, not just the active tab.  ·   · 
    AaronAaron shared a merged idea: Can you show the count of pending tweets?  ·   · 
    Reynir JóhannessonReynir Jóhannesson shared a merged idea: Add notifications to tabs  ·   · 
    anavarreanavarre shared a merged idea: Number of new tweets in the HootSuite browser tab  ·   · 
    TylerTyler shared a merged idea: show a counter that displays number of unread replies/mentions/DMs/keywords on the Streams tab...  ·   · 
    merlinoxmerlinox shared a merged idea: Visible notification on tab  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Chris from HootSuiteChris from HootSuite responded  · 

Currently, HootSuite only loads one tab at a time in order to preserve bandwidth and API calls.

However, we do see how useful this feature may be, and may consider it for future updates to our API call process.

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DragonFlyEyeDragonFlyEye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an especially good idea for things like @ replies, comments and DMs. Is it possible to narrow the alerts to just this type of interaction? Maybe turn a tab red when new messages come in?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is exactly what is needed. I get a push notification badge with three messages and when I open hootsuite I'm faced with all my tabs (across 2 accounts) with no idea which tabs they are in and so have to then resort to going back to the standard twitter app to find them. Having individual badges for each tab would be fab.

• Brian SmithBrian Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being entirely sure how Hootsuite interacts with social network APIs, I can only speculate as to a way to get around the bandwidth and API limit concerns, but some sort of push notification seems like a real possibility. If you combine it with Twitter's stream API, that cuts down at least on the API call numbers for their system.

Web-based push notifications can be done a few different ways. "Long polling" is a possibility with a web server that supports it, or you can use XMPP with a Javascript client.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_technology

• Michael RickeyMichael Rickey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea. It's frustrating to hear the notification beep and not be able to figure out which tab has the new messages.

• Fletcher KauffmanFletcher Kauffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using HootDroid, which actually lets me know anytime ANY of my ~20 Twitter accounts gets mentioned, I see this as a majorly-missing feature in the desktop client.

Ideally, either a marker on the tab with the new mentions/DMs (with an option in the tab settings to use it or not).

Relatedly, a type of stream that aggregates mentions for all accounts into one stream, and replies done from there come from the mentioned account.

Btw I use firefox, IE8 and chrome on different pc's and I'm always using mutiple browsertabs....thnx in advanced!

Like this one! Especially when I'm at work and hootsuite is on a backgroundtab ;-)

• Julien FerlaJulien Ferla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No news about this feature, I think hootsuite is a very good tool to use but with this feature it will be for sur the best desktop twitter client

• Eric UngsEric Ungs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea!! Able to set up notifications for particular columns/keywords, etc. and is shows a notification on the tab heading - just as the image shows above.

Feedback and Knowledge Base