Feedback Forum

I suggest you ...

Track ow.ly statistics in other applications

Ow.ly stats are great, but I'd like to use shortened URLs in other applications (Web pages, Facebook, etc.) and would still like to capture statistics on clickthroughs. Currently using bit.ly for this, but would prefer if I could do it with ow.ly.

128 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jerry SilverJerry Silver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Vishal SVishal S shared a merged idea: Short Links  ·   · 
    Nikki ClarkNikki Clark shared a merged idea: allow reporting on ow.ly link clicks from Facebook  ·   · 
    GeorgeGeorge shared a merged idea: I would like the facebook ow.ly links to be included in Ow.ly summary stats  ·   · 
    NickNick shared a merged idea: allow me to see stats for ow.ly links i post only on facebook (not twitter)  ·   · 
    Reid SorensonReid Sorenson shared a merged idea: Enable ow.ly analytics for Facebook posts without requiring a Twitter account  ·   · 
    Michael ShepherdMichael Shepherd shared a merged idea: better tracking on ow.ly links - option for non Twitter streams  ·   · 
    HughHugh shared a merged idea: Track ow.ly links, even when they've NOT first posted to Twitter through our HootSuite account  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Chris from HootSuiteChris from HootSuite responded  · 

We’ll explore further options with Ow.ly’s API for third party developers who want to build with it.

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see some of the features available on Twitter, to also be applied to Facebook and Google+. This is top on my list of wanting to see on Facebook. I would definitely pay for this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is one feature that I find myself shying away from Hootsuite on. Other publishers have url shortner extensions that I can use in/out of social. Hootsuite, you NEED this.

• Nathaniel CassidyNathaniel Cassidy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this feature added we could truly use Hootsuite for all our social and online activities rather than the current mix of Hootsuite and bit.ly etc.

• jvaskojvasko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One area Hootsuite is lacking is in the stats department. I'd like a better search interface for stats and the ability to see ow.ly stats sent from other sites.

• KimKim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - I don't want to confused non-techy people who aren't in Marketing with the hootsuite package but they'd like to post directly to twitter and we thought the ow.ly posting would also be tracked.... Shame that it's not! Do we have an update on when this will be put in place?

• Duchess of GrangeDuchess of Grange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too think expanding the ow.ly shortner functionality outside of Hootsuite would make it a much stronger contender for completely replacing bit.ly

• Nick RobinsonNick Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. It will give us the ability to see what social networks are performing the best when it comes to generating click-throughs. Also it will give us the ability to see what content performs the best on each social network, so we can tweak our messaging for each network.

• EdwinEdwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include stats for ow.ly links created using the tweetmeme button.

• Jerry SilverJerry Silver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to be clear, having this feature would mean that when an ow.ly link is clicked in a non-Twitter app (e.g. Facebook, arbitrary Web page), the ow.ly stats are incremented.

• Deferred SuccessDeferred Success commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes ! Stat tracking for OW.LY-generated links posted to Facebook is needed in order to dissuade users from cut/pasting BIT.LY-generated links.

• Michael ShepherdMichael Shepherd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently I really wanted this because I created another voting post.

[copy and paste below]

Stats for all user profile channels (not just twitter)

ideally it would even be nice to be able to see the click through on two items

1. The total click-through of a message through all channels

2. The individual click-through of each message per user channel (Not Just Twitter)

An easy way to do this is to create a shortened link and then once the i... more

ideally it would even be nice to be able to see the click through on two items

1. The total click-through of a message through all channels

2. The individual click-through of each message per user channel (Not Just Twitter)

An easy way to do this is to create a shortened link and then once the individual profiles are selected embed that new shortened link into other shortened links per channel. Then use the original shortened link for the "Total Message Count" and use the spin off shortened links for a per channel breakdown.

The stats really need to be improved on this platform. There is a lot of potential with the way you have things laid out but frankly your stats currently do not cut it.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your continued effort, love the overall product. It keeps getting better.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major failing of Hootsuite's statistic package. If Hootsuite truely wishes to be a pan-Social Media client, it needs to recognize that clients need to be able to have granular data on each of the social networks that they interact with via Hootsuite. Not having this option is the one thing that is driving our investigation of other SM client applications.

If you don't treat analytics as a core function that needs to work with each social network equally and enhance the information that is tracked via those links, then you will, in my opinion, lose more and more business clients.

• Russ AlmanRuss Alman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think is a CRITICAL component that social media managers like myself need to do our job better. I hook all accounts to Ping. As it is now, the stats won't work unless I post to Twitter separately from the Ping stream. It means an extra click that I can easily forget. It also means that if I'm away from the office and I need make a post from my iPhone, I have to post to Ping from one and and then post to Twitter from another.

I really think having stats work directly off of Ping posts is hugely important.

Feedback and Knowledge Base